Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

What a wonderful life

My best friend sent me a quote yesterday that reminded me how wonderful my life is:

The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new. ~Rajnees

It made me really think about who I am as a woman and as a mother. Most of the time, I still think of myself as a girl, but the mortgage, marriage, and motherhood bring me back to reality. I realized that before all of those things, I thought I knew who I was as a woman. It wasn't until I became a mother that I realized I had no idea of my potential and patience. My sons have brought out a wonderful part of me that had never been visible before, both in the very early morning hours with Cody, and in the joyous laughter of Dylan.

I have also found that I thought I knew who I was as a wife before our sons were born. Drew and I enjoy each other's company more now than ever, and we have cultivated a patience for each other. Not only do I enjoy caring for my sons, but I find a deep contentment in caring for Drew. He and I have grown to love all things about each other, and trust me, there are plenty of things about me that aren't necessarily pretty. As I look around and see so many couples that haven't prepared for life together, I am so thankful that Drew and I make each other a priority. Loving Drew gives my sons the best chance to be loving, supportive, and patient men. That is the best gift that I can give to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment