Pages

Friday, April 9, 2010

Well that sucked..

So, before I start my day, I should tell you about my night.

Cody has been EXTREMELY cranky lately, probably from those steel teeth trying to bust through his gums. And while they are still in the phantom stage, I am sure they are lurking somewhere in his mouth. So, in an effort to ensure myself a full nights sleep, we eliminated his evening nap, and put him to bed about 7:30. Things were going along great - I was sleeping hard, and barely even woke up when Drew came to bed sometime before 10. Then 10:30 hit, and man was that little boy hungry. So, we snuggled for a short time while he ate as fast as he could. We both retired again, and I was hoping that we were done for the night.

Wrong. How incredibly wrong I was. Around midnight, he woke up and was determined to play. Not only did he want to be awake, he wanted for me to join him. And, since he has become far more mobile than he was a few short weeks ago, he has learned to sit up from a laying down position. As most moms know, that is the beginning of the end. No more stationary baby - he will be crawling in a blink of an eye. And while he has taught himself to sit up, he just cannot figure out how to lay back down. So, he will sit up in his crib, confined to his butt, not understanding that with a little tip, he will be more comfortable. So, he cries. and cries. and cries. He wails until I go in there, time and time again, to teach him to lay down, and to try to comfort him back to sleep. With a good hour of this dance between he and I, I was tired, and a bit crabby, if I may say so myself. Keep in mind that during this constant interaction with my baby, I was clumsy and the house was dark - which led to the meeting of my baby toe with my bed post.

As I writhed in pitch dark, trying not to swear loud enough to wake the rest of the house, I wondered how I was going to make it through. How am I going to get enough sleep to make today productive - and how would I do this tomorrow night? How does one prepare themself for the care of a child during the hours when the rest of the world is asleep? If you figure it out, please let me know.

We finally were both able to go back to sleep. Of course, I fell asleep after a bought with the hiccups, which doesn't happen very often, but it is usually at night, and he fell asleep after tiring himself out. I was enjoying my nice comfortable bed until 4:30 when he decided that he was ravenous again. Well, that was it, I knew that I was up for the day. Don't get me wrong, I went back to bed, pulling the covers up over my head willing the clock to say 1 instead of 5. But, it didn't work, and I finally got up and started my day. How the rest of it will go is a complete mystery, and if the previous 6 hours were any indication, I better buckle up. It's going to be a wild ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment